Thursday, November 13, 2008

keeps getting better


Ecuador is a playground in a lost world…especially on motorcycle. terrain goes from edges of amazon jungle and high misty mountains to canyonland all in one day. astounding different lanscapes in a small country.

overlooking amazon
amazon road old and new

amazon kidsamazon restaurant and of course...found tarzan in the amazon
Also astounding was my night and day contrast…
Slept in a hotel that seemed great. About 2am I woke up itching? Last time that happened was in belize but I stayed in bed thinking I was dreaming it and woke up with a couple hundred bug bites…..not again….yes again. this time I got up and jumped into the shower hoping not to get as many bites. After, I went to my duffle bag for some new briefs. Put them on…hmmm they seem damp, did I not dry off enough? No. im dry. Must have got rain in the bag. Grabbed another pair and they were drenched….whats the deal? Reached in to find all my clothes soaked and some broken glass. remembered I bought a bottle of this colombian fermented alcohol fruit drink that i was saving for my bday.…it tastes great but smells like rotten apple. bottle smashed in the bag from the rough ride. Everything coverd in glass and reeks
Dirty underwear back to bed. I fell asleep hoping it will all fix itself.
...it didn’t but day made up for it ….. failed ecuador engineering..its one thing to cross a river on backroads in the water alone.....entirely different with traffic going both ways

lots of pitch black tiny tunnels in the mountains
From banos we decided to take an off the beaten track trail to Cuenca. Off the beaten translated to a riding on a road that was in the process of being built, several stream/river crossings, collapsed bridges, brand new tarmack, cut out road slicing thru Amazonian villiages where the natives speak cachua and sinuos mountain roads thru the andes….high low over and across. riding a road as it was being built was a first

On the way ate nasty roadside fried pig-foot/grissle lunch. Never again
ended the day in colonial town, Cuenca... Peru border tommorrow...dont want to leave

No comments: