Monday, December 22, 2008

strange feelings in san pedro de atacama

San pedro de Atacama is a unique little oasis town.
One story-adobe-dusty-walking streets-tourists-hippies-adventure seekers-artists-boiling hot-relatively expensive-hotels and bars- stop point for the altiplano area. old and new-funky architecture inside- flat colorless outside buildings that make it look like any other dessert town though its not at all but youd never know until you go behind the walls..
first sign of christmas but holiday feel not in me


It’s the first town in Chile from remote Bolivia entrance and very welcomed after the past 5 days out.
Hot shower, comfortable bed, internet, beer and good food.
Only problem is there is no money in this town…literally. there are only 2 atm machines…one is for mastercard only (none of us have a mastercard) and the one visa machine hasn’t had any money in it since we got here 3 days ago…..on top of….none of us have any cash. Thankfully plenty of restaurants take visa but cant move until the machine gets filled because need cash for gas and cant travel without cash…most places arent tourist filled accepting credit cards.

cleaned out the fork seals and wrapped makeshift sleeves with the sleves of my t-shirt
Stuck here drinking beer in the shade….pretty content for the moment although lots of strange feelings going on…..dawning on me that Ive been living this dream as reality for the last few months but its gonna come to an end sooner than later….then what? put the beer down spacehead, youre drunk
favorite part of travel is that everything is new everyday....big or small… kind of a youth sponge addictive feeling that cant be gotten in one place…so….what?… back to easily taken advantage of comfortable living in minn, really enjoy my business and daily but pretty predictable. move back to iowa where all my family is? Maybe move somewhere in Rockies, always loved mountains (trip has reminded that) especially skiing in winter… and beauty of my business is I can do it anywhere. Alaska? still look as some of my favorite years but probably changed or I would be there now. Keep going?…maybe ship the bike to South Africa and ride that continent north?(no too dangerous solo)….New Zealand/Australia then work up to, have always wanted to see, The East and across? Ride back up thru brazil...that doesnt sound too bad? Of course have settle down thought in back of mind too…..who knows? I do know though that im ready to get back on the bike……guarantee to get these self absorbed thoughts out and just enjoy this time right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain and do wonder what you will do next, although it's 3 yrs since you wrote this.... ugh. I know the feeling I get inside when I have to leave after my lil 12 day trips here and there. I do feel your pain but then again, can't imagine how much greater it must be after doing what you did on that bike excursion.....yuck to that feeling. :(