Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Day 1











..... good first day.....

After emotional goodbyes I got off to a later than expected start. Stopped in at MotoSports in D.M. and got a little bike insight. I'm no mechanic by any stretch although I might be by the end of this trip.
It was blowing hard on the interstate and the bike performed well, much better than my last bike in wind.
I got on some back highways and made my way down to NWMSU in Maryville, Missouri....my (first college) alma mater. Its been 15 years since I've been there and aside from a few new buildings and a remodeled town square, it looked and felt the same as it did back then. Loads of memories as i drove around town. The shite holes where I spent the majority of my time are the same shite holes today minus and E on our house!
Later in the day it started raining.... tested rain gear, all good. Didnt want to camp in the rain so I pulled off to a roadside motel. Tv is pumping Hurricane Ike which is en route to the same place I am.....Texas gulf coast. Will keep watch to avoid it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Mike - Met you on Wednesday in the parking lot of Struthers Brothers in DSM. You were heading South and I was heading back to the cube. Hope all goes well on your journey. Safe riding...I'll be keeping track.

As an aside, I went to NWMSU for a very short period of time and am all too familiar with those shite holes. Glad to hear they haven't changed.

Cheers!

Mike Haley said...

Hey man, small world. When were you at NWMSU?
trips going great. Just about to cross into Mexico for the beginning of the real adventure!

Anonymous said...

Yo Michael :

John Hanna here...how'z my bike doing it for ya..? Glad to see you've made good time and distance and that for the most part you've been safely making your way. I've spread your BLOG to many back up here in Des Moines, and around the area - so they are charting your progress as I am.
Be Well - Be Safe - I'm anxious to read the next installment and the next new set of adventures.
You are the Salt of the Earth - Stay Salty.!!
Blessings all over you today -
John Robert Hanna