Monday, September 15, 2008

Hill Country and Lake Travis


The last couple of days I have been riding in and around 'the hill country' region of Texas. Its great for motorcycling...loads of twisty roads thru the hills but the heat - humidity takes a bit to get used to. Today was nice and cool though.
Everything is bigger in Texas and I'm liking it. The best part is definately the food. For meat eaters this state rules! On almost every crossroad, even in the boonies you can find a bbq pit place with chopped beef and beef brisket. Ive been stopping at all of them and it seems the more remote the better! This one is just outside of Austin.
Last night I camped for the first time at Pace Bend... Lake Travis.......

The spot I found was great! With the enduro I took the bike where they had closed a road because the water is so low and found a spot right on the lake. If you look close on the right side you can see deer in the background. They were all over the place, bucks too.

....about 3am it started raining and my $20 walmart tent didnt exactly hold up, so I made a 2 second decision to bolt..... said f it and left the tent behind....hopefully someone else will have a need for it.
I met a couple guys at the Austin Bmw dealership who have done a lot of travelling in Mexico and they gave me some tips on towns to check out. Im in San Antonio now and gonna have a dealer here do a little tune up before I cross the border. Hopefully they will have a few extra parts I want to take with me

No comments: