Saturday, September 20, 2008

Queretaro

After a long trek I made it to Queretaro. Very nice modern city! My dairy aire (which has picked up some unwanted friends) was due for a rest so I spoiled myself with a super swanky hotel built into the bluff that overlooks the city. Truth be told I hardly did anything except lay around my huge luxury room and watch some tv (in english, no less). I did go up and have a couple cocktails on the top floor balcony bar with a stunning view of the city lights at night and met a few peoplee from the us and canada. It was a good night. Like all the people from Mexico I have met, the guys working at the hotel were extremely nice and very helpful in routing my trip to Puebla. Thanks again Marco! After getting near Mexico City I would actually say they were godsent because they informed me of a new road that is not on the maps and lets y0u sort of hug the city itself instead of going in it. Seems as if all roads lead to mexico city in this country. 20,000,000 population traffic and one gringo on a motorcycle....no thanks!

Mex city makes LA look like a greenthumb paradise! At about 70 miles out you can start to see the smog and pollution. Its horrible. At 30 miles out you can smell the stench, which worsens as you reach the outskirts and litteraly made me gag in my helmet. Never smelt anything like it so i cant compare but its seems combination of fesces, smog, death and garbage.
Somehow I got off the cuota and into an outskirt regular road near the city that wasnt fun at all. jam packed, again with everything you can think, especially CRAZY drivers. After about two hours and maybe 15 miles I found another cuota and got out of there. The bike was over heating and i was praying that it woudnt break down. I made my way to Puebla where I am now.
Aside from the city part, riding in/ thru this stretch of mountains was beautiful. More trees and vegitation than anywhere else so far. Kind of reminded me of colorado.
who's dumber....these guys walking on the mountain roads with lots of semis and pretty much no speed limit or me taking a picture of them?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Feel good......

Mike Haley said...

huh? who is this?

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, this is Marco From Queretaro, I've been following the whole trip and I'm glad you finally did it.

It's been a pleasure meeting you.

Regards